Monday, November 10, 2008

Welcome to Love For Obento!!!

My name is Megan. I'm 21 years old, live in the heart of New York State, and I just recently discovered the wonder that is the japanese obento lunch. For the longest time I've been fascinated with these adorable and even artistically put together lunch boxes and wondered how I would be able to get in on some of the fun! Well, thanks to an awesome website called http://www.obentolunch4kidz.ecrater.com/, run out of Okinawa, Japan, I was able to start building my bento supply collection with cute stuff like assorted food picks, dividers, portion cups, precut nori designs, and a ton of other stuff. Katy always has a wonderful selection of bento boxes/bento sets on her site as well for really good prices, most of which include free shipping! I make at least one order a week (though now I'll have to keep my eye out for the 2nd and 16th of each month, because that's when the re-stocking happens!). She's been holding "newbie" bento contests on her blog, roughly twice a month, and each one has a theme to it. I came in 2nd place in her last contest (YAY!), and I'll continue to enter them until I've been bento-ing for too long to be considered a newbie T_T. Maybe if I really get into it, I can start holding contests for more experienced bento-ers...though that would require me to have prizes to send out...maybe Katy would help? ^_^

Anywho! A little more background on myself. Like I said I live in New York State (not the city, which is where most other people in the world think EVERYONE in New York lives. I can't tell you how many times I was asked if Albany was within NYC. Jeesh...they fail at geography.) I just recently got married to my high school sweetheart *October 24th, 2008* and we have a beautiful 5 1/2 month old daughter. I work for the government of New York State as a data enterer (sp?) and a receptionist. I've been here for almost 2 1/2 years now and hey, it pays the bills and gets food on the table. Aside from learning more about how to prepare the perfect bento lunch, I'm also trying to learn how to crochet (which is posing a bit of a challenge as of right now, not quite sure why), and I have to say I enjoy playing video games, especially on our Nintendo Wii and my Nintendo DS. Can't go wrong with Nintendo!

So, that's pretty much the short story of my life. In this blog I'll be posting picture of each obento I've made so that you can all see the progress I make. I'm going to post the past bentos that I've done as well. If I am using a bento that I've made in a contest, I will not post the photo until after the contest ends.

Sit back, take a peek at my bento, and enjoy! If you do bento as well and want to make comments as to how I can better my bento, please do! I want to learn as much as possible!

No comments: